The following questions will help you decide if a particular
doula is right for you:
For any doula:
• What training and experience have you had? (If a doula is certified,
you might consider checking with the certifying organization.)
• Do you have one or more backup doulas for times when you are not
available? May we meet her/them?
• What is your fee, what does it include, and what are your refund
When interviewing a Birth Doula:
• Tell me/us about your philosophy regarding childbirth
and supporting women and their partners through labor.
• May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role you will play
in supporting me/us through childbirth?
• May we call you with questions or concerns before and after the
• When do you try to join women in labor? Will you come to our home
or meet us at our place of birth?
• Do you meet with me/us after the birth to review the labor and
When interviewing a Postpartum Doula: